Monday, May 20, 2013

May 20, 2013- Transfer 1- Matias Romero


Elder Sawyer & Elder Dibble- outside their home.
Matias Romero, Oaxaca, Mexico
 
Mexico’s awesome! We got here Monday night and then all the new elders left Tuesday morning to go to their areas in the city except for me. The President decided he was gonna put me in the farthest mission away in Matias Romero, so I had another full day of travelling on the bus on Tuesday. They were surprised when I got here cause they said new missionaries never go outside the city. So I finally got going on Wednesday and its awesome here. It’s really poor and it almost looks like it’s in the Philippines or Africa in some places. It’s really humid here and I’ve just gotten used to being soaked. It’s pretty much what I expected though, showering with a bucket, doing laundry in a bucket and stuff like that. The food here is great but really greasy haha. Tlayudas are the best food here every meal we get a huge bowl of red sauce and they dip everything in it.  My companion is Elder Dibble and it’s the first time they’ve ever put two white guys together in this area so we get a ton of stares. There are another set of elders both from Texas in our apartment. Elder Lincon, he’s awesome, is the district leader. He was a big football player in Texas.  I’m definitely the biggest person in the town here though, they are all really short. I get asked everyday if I’m a lucho libre. haha. Oh, and there are dogs everywhere, but not real dogs. They either have 1 eye, three legs or half a head or all three of those. I don’t like dogs any more.
So teaching is going great. There’s just one problem, everyone speaks Spanish. I can’t understand a thing any of the natives say so the only way I know what we’re talking about is what my companion says and most of the time I don’t understand him. We also set a record for lessons in a day. My companion is a workhorse. My first day i got to teach two people. it’s a little different than teaching people in the MTC.  haha. Oh and I got to go the Mexican doctor, that was kinda interesting. but my hip got pretty bad and I couldn’t walk and the doctor thought I might need surgery. They said it was a level1 lesion and they were worried because it was spreading close to some organs and it was like a black baseball on my hip but it’s better now. It was a good thing though cause I had to go get medicine and stuff and the farmacia and found protein there, so in the end it worked out good. 
I have no idea how to get you guys pictures it takes about 30 minutes to upload one so I have no idea? and I haven’t got any mail yet, it probably doesn’t help I’m in the middle of  nowhere. so ya not too sure what to do. oh and I gave a talk in church yesterday and that was interesting....  and it’s even harder to stay awake when you have no idea what anyone’s saying, like 30 people were at church Sunday.  We are not allowed to do any contacting at all. It’s just too dangerous. We can only talk to people if we got a referral about them, so most of the days we are at members houses trying to find people to teach. Let’s see we have four elders in my house and that’s rare, it’s usually only one companionship in the house. Most of the houses here are like cardboard and sheet metal and pretty much just compacted garbage. There are no streets or such a thing as address here. It’s literally almost a 3 world country in most parts. It’s cool. k well that’s about it I’ll talk to you guys next week .
love you guys!
Elder sawyer

***This is from Andrew’s companion’s blog- (with his permission)

“Si, everything is going great. This week has been pretty crazy. I got a new companion. His name is Elder Sawyer and as of today, he only has 5 days in the mission field. He's so white... haha! He's from Arizona and he is only 18! He has a lot of animo coming straight out of the MTC. He's awesome!
This week Elder Sawyer and I have been working a lot with the youth in the ward. There are two, la Hermana Rosa, and el Hermano Andrei, that are awesome! They are both getting ready for their missions but they are already like missionaries.
Elder Sawyer put his first baptismal date with Hermana Angela this week. It was a pretty cool experience for him. The bishop came to the lesson with us and he's got a lot of animo, too!”
-Elder Dibble

No comments:

Post a Comment